OUR DOCTRINAL BELIEFS
What we believe may be found in the heritage, message, and mission of the PCA.
Who the PCA Is
The PCA was formed to be a denomination that is “Faithful to the Scriptures, True to the Reformed Faith, and Obedient to the Great Commission.” We are:
- Evangelical. We share the gospel, the good news of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ. We affirm other orthodox Christian doctrines and hold to the inerrancy of Scripture.
- Reformed. We adhere to the teachings of the historic church and the doctrinal beliefs recovered by the Reformation. These beliefs are expressed in the Westminster Confession of Faith with the Larger and Shorter Catechisms.
- Presbyterian. Our form of church government is representative. Local churches are governed by a Session, a body of elders (presbyters) elected by the members of the congregation. Representatives of local churches within a geographical area compose a Presbytery. Representatives of presbyteries meet annually at the General Assembly.
Through the combined efforts and resources of all the churches, we are enabled to advance God’s Kingdom most effectively. The Committees and Agencies of the PCA, like Mission to North America, help lead this Kingdom work.
What We Believe
- We believe the Bible is the written word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit and without error in the original manuscripts. The Bible is the revelation of God’s truth and is infallible and authoritative in all matters of faith and practice.
- We believe in the Holy Trinity. There is one God who exists eternally in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- We believe that all sinners are totally unable to save themselves from God’s displeasure, except by His mercy.
- We believe that salvation is by God alone, as He sovereignly chooses those He will save. We believe His choice is based on His grace, not on any human individual merit, or foreseen faith.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, who through His perfect life and sacrificial death atoned for the sins of all who will trust in Him, alone, for salvation.
- We believe that God is gracious and faithful to His people, not simply as individuals but as families in successive generations according to His Covenant promises.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells God’s people and gives them the strength and wisdom to trust Christ and follow Him.
- We believe that Jesus will return, bodily and visibly, to judge all mankind and to receive His people unto Himself.
- We believe that all aspects of our lives are to be lived to the glory of God under the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
The PCA’s Mission
Our aim is to take the message of Jesus Christ’s atoning love on the cross to every nation so that all people will trust in Him alone for their salvation from sin.
We want to show compassion and render mercy, to love and to serve people from every ethnic group, nation, and socio-economic level.
The PCA’s mission is to glorify and enjoy God by equipping and enabling the churches of this denomination to work together to fulfill the Great Commission. We are making disciples of all nations, so that people will mature as servants of the triune God, will worship God in spirit and truth, and will have a reforming impact on culture.
Other helpful resources about the PCA include: